Sunday, January 30, 2011

Update

Since my last post, we've been pretty busy around here. I did a poster presentation at a Geriatric Conference. Here's a pic of me and my partner, Ashley:


That same afternoon, I had the pleasure of delivering 6 crowns to my favorite patient. They went from canine to canine in the upper arch. I was super excited to do such an esthetic case, and it turned out beautifully. The patient was so happy, and I was floating on air.

Earlier this week, Jonathan's mom came into town and took us out to one of our favorite spots, PF Chang's. It was delicious, and it's always good to see family :)

This weekend, I've been a busy bee in the kitchen. First, I made a light version of a no-bake cheesecake, then chocolate chip cookies my patient coordinator has been begging me for, and I finished off with bleu cheese burgers for my man. Jonathan has a new OBSESSION with all things bleu cheese. He's been asking me to make bleu cheese burgers, so tonight I gave it a shot. I made some caramelized onions to go with them, and they were delish. Thanks to Our Best Bites cooking blog, I figured out the secret to caramelized onions. I'll summarize for you:

First, you need to slice your onions so that they're uniform in size. You're going to want about 3 large sweet onions, because these babies disintegrate into basically nothing as they cook. Heat about 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet, then add the onions and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes. Add about 1/4 tsp. of salt and cook about 30 minutes longer or until amber in color. I added about1/2 tsp. of sugar after about 15 minutes of cooking for extra caramelization.

Now, they key here is PATIENCE. I'm bad about wanting immediate results, and I had to stir those onions for about 1 hour before I got them the way I wanted them. THEN, I was so distraught at how little it actually made. Here it is in pictures:

BEFORE (look how many onions that is!)

After (there's nothing left!)

The onions pictured above aren't quite as amber in color as I wanted them, but it was getting close to the time for us to go to small group, and I needed to get dinner on the table.

That's all for now! Have a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment