Monday, April 18, 2011

Creamy Taco Mac

It's been a little while since I've posted, so I just wanted to bring up a recipe I had saved a while ago and post it now. We're without power because of the tornadoes of this week, but food is always a good way to lighten the mood!


Who didn't love Hamburger Helper growing up? But I just can't bring myself to use that box of processed food. So, when I found this recipe, I knew my hubby would love it. I have to admit, it is pretty darn tasty. We served this with salad and low-fat cresent rolls. Comfort food...gotta love it!
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
8-oz. short pasta (I used whole-wheat macaroni)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 packet taco seasoning
4-oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
shredded cheddar cheese for topping

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saute pan, cook the ground meat over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Mix in the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning and let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta, cream cheese, sour cream and reserved pasta water. Continue to stir until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit. Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese.

1 comment:

  1. rando fact -- we never had hamburger helper growing up! the pic on facebook of those strawberries looks amazing, i hope a recipe is to follow for pie!!

    ReplyDelete