Sunday, May 20, 2012

Penne Rosa

Jonathan and I are currently buried in a sea of boxes while we attempt to pack up our entire household.  Let me tell you, it's way more overwhelming and difficult than I expected.  But the good thing is, we're cleaning out a bunch of stuff.  For me, less clutter = a happier life.


Since we're moving in a little over 2 weeks, I've been trying to use up ingredients from my pantry.  I had a box of whole wheat penne, so I searched the web to find a healthy recipe to use it in.  I found this recipe on Back to Her Roots, and gave it a try. Both Jonathan and I really liked it!  It was a delicious, springy, fresh pasta dish, which (in my opinion), is hard to find.  Here's the recipe:

12 oz. whole wheat penne, cooked and drained
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups fresh spinach (I large bag at Publix was 4 cups)
1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup marinara sauce
1/3 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
Grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish

Cook penne according to package directions and set aside.  While it's cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.  Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.  Turn up heat to medium-high and add shrimp.  Cook 1-2 minutes until shrimp start to turn pink.  Add spinach and cover skillet.  Let spinach wilt for a few minutes until reduced down, stirring occasionally.  Remove lid and place skillet over low heat.  Drain off a little water from the bottom of the pan, and add the penne, yogurt, and marinara.  Stir to mix well, and cook until heated through.  Serve with Parmesan on top.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that looks delicious! And I can't believe it's already almost time for you guys to leave!

    ReplyDelete